dinsdag 1 september 2015

Dead (Sea) relaxed

Did you ever stop and think about what you are feeling, in body, mind and emotions, while on holiday? Do you ever stop and reflect on what you are feeling? Probably not, you're too busy experiencing it and do no want to let that pesky mind get in the way. But these three parts: 'affects', 'feelings' and 'emotions' are very, very important in the field of tourism, and in my blog entries as well.[1] Therefore: an entry to explore them in depth! As a 'case study', I'll be using my experience at swimming at the dead sea.

1. The bodily sensation of floating is a big tourist attraction, and I can see and feel why!

I was feeling so very excited of going to the Dead Sea. I've seen videos and pictures of people floating like ducks on the salty water, being able to read newspapers and so on. I could not wait to put on my bikini and jump in! Felt a bit disappointed that you're not allowed to 'jump in'. But excitement takes over as I'm walking trough the hot sand towards the Dead Sea...

Then, affects, or the bodily sensations: Running across the now very hot sand. Gently I walk into the water. It is very warm, not like the cold Dutch sea. There are (for now) no waves. The water already feels a bit thicker than normal water, oily in a sense. As soon as I tilt my body backwards, my legs float up like a buoy! The same happens when I turn to my stomach. My legs immediately fly up, making me struggle to keep my head above water. The feeling is absolutely amazing! The pain of a drop of the very salty water in my eye is excruciating!

Of course, there were emotions as well: the immediate basic emotional reaction to circumstances, like feeling angry, happy or scared. Happy is the best word for my emotion during this experience. The combination of floating like a duck, doing something I wanted to do for so long and that turns out to be even better than expected made me smile throughout the day.

Who knew the Dead Sea could have so much effect!

Buda, Dorina Maria, Anne-Marie d’Hauteserre, and Lynda Johnston. "Feeling and tourism studies." Annals of Tourism Research 46 (2014): 102-114.


3 opmerkingen:

  1. Haha "floating like a duck", heel leuk geschreven! En ik wil nu ook naar de Dode Zee 🙈

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Awesome Eva! Were there many other tourists floating around in the Sea while you were in there, or not? I remember my parents telling they loved the experience many years ago, but they were surrounded by a bunch of loud Americans, which 'affected' their 'emotions' and 'feelings' just a small bit ;) Anyway, it sounds wonderful and it's definitely on my list to do one day!

    xx Juul

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. The affect (or the bodily sensations ) whilst reading your blog; suddenly very aware of my bum on the chair.. The feeling of just sitting there all stationary. The emotions; a little bit of jealousy. but mostly the urge to go and see more of the world. Your enthusiasm is inspiring. Now a wish a was a duck ;-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen