maandag 24 augustus 2015

L'aventure commence

I just came home from a whole month of travelling, my first solo travel abroad ever, to Peru and Bolivia. The trip was absolutely amazing, intense and almost therapeutic. I never travelled on my one for so long and so far and I experienced a different side of me. I was very adventurous and cautious at the same time. I stayed in private rooms. I did all the touristy things with other tourists, feeling a bit scared when I didn't encounter enough European travellers. It feels like I just arrived in the Netherlands and already I'm up and leaving again, this time to the far away country of Jordan. What to expect?
 

First of, I'm glad I'm not going alone, but with Julia, from the course. I feel glad and relieved of travelling with somebody else. Making decisions plans and mistakes even- it's more fun and relaxed to do it together. The adventurous come in pairs.



Second, I'm a bit anxious about going to Jordan. Almost everyday in the media you hear the horrible stories about IS in Syria. It may not be the same country, but they are neighbours. The whole region is a bit of a mess, so how far are we at risk? Anxiety comes as well with Jordan being a Muslim country. What do I wear as a girl? No knees and armpits visible is the general rule. How will I be treated? Is my view of the Middle East correct, or is it just plane Orientalism[1]?



Luckily I don't only feel anxiety. I'm also really excited! We are going to see wonderful things (Petra, Jerash, the Dead Sea), visit a vibrant and exotic country, and get a wonderful glimpse at a different and for me quite unknown culture and people. 

So, the adveture begins. Or should I say: continues?

[1] The term 'Orientalism', Edward Said argues, means that a stereotype image of the 'Orient' is given, which doesn't tell us that much about the Orient itself but more about the 'West' who came up with the idea. The Orient is depicted as backward, dangerous and less sophisticated to justify the West's superiority:
Said, Edward. "Orientalism. 1978." New York: Vintage 1994 (1979).
 

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Such a wonderful reflection: travel as therapeutic and a journey of self-discovery. Could this be linked to emotions, affects, and feelings, and how intense emotions lead to discovering nuances (shades - 50 shades ;) ) of yourself you might never knew they were there?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. "No knees and armpits visible is the general rule", wait..., what..., no armpits, than why bother going? All kidding aside, have you asked the guys in the group if they felt the same anxiety? I wonder what there fears and anxieties are and if there are gender specific ones.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen